Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Preparation

My host family was leaving me alone, 
in their beautiful apartment,
for a week.
But there was a hitch 
(isn't there always? maybe that is how we know it is real!)


The hang-up?
I would not be able to use the stove or oven.
YEAH,
you know how I like to cook, bake and eat healthy.
my host mom did not understand that idea.
"I have friends that have host students, 
and when they leave, the students
just eat microwave meals"
0.O

this student does not do microwave meals!

so I figured out a way to make my healthy food
all in one go.




this is the result of five hours in the kitchen:

a little bland, but healthy!


so this is what we got: 
-mashed potatoes (with delicious and rich french cream and butter, of course!)
-quinoa
-wild rice
-onions
-blanched broccolini
-carrot and leek side with a sweet reduction
 (not pictured: adzuki beans and more mashed potatoes, clementines, apples (made applesauce), pears, foie gras, pastry, etc)

You remember when the posts of the champ de mars and the rainy eiffel tower? I was on my way to pick up some vegetables that I bought on groupon, the coupon website. 
okay, that sounds really sketch once I put that down. but it was wonderful! all 17lbs of it!! So I made enough healthy food for the week. It was an interesting experience, but I prefer fresh food. At least I have the experience under my belt now!

(ps, claire: see the scarf on the left, on the chair? it is the one that you gave me. I always get complimented on it! thanks again)

pastry, pastry, pastry!!

a little crushed, but I'll take it!
hahaha like I wouldn't
;)


chocolate cap, three types of mousse!
melted on your tongue...mmm
(as they say in france, miam!)

and under the hat,
a macaron!

christmas here was wonderful,
but I really missed my family.
the fire, the food, the friends,
the wine, the warmth...



love,
alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment