Monday, November 28, 2011

A l'etoile d'or: AKA the best candy shop ever

her little shop is in the 18th, at
metro stop pigalle



this little glass case is outside
and chock-a-block full of her
accolades and articles

a sideways view...
inside the shop we go!

the inside of her shop, on a counter:
calissons (a marzipan like confection that is blended with candied
citrus peel...a little hard to explain, you couldn't differentiate the two
or spot the bits of peel as it was all one uniform texture and color (a light beige),
but you could clearly taste it and realize that it was marzipan and candied citrus peel),
prune stuffed prunes (no, that isn't a typo), and marrons glacees (glazed chestnuts)

It was such a tiny shop, but it was filled to the brim!
And the mirrors behind all of the candy didn't make the place look bigger,
just made it look more stuffed with candy!!
[Not that I am complaining...]
In this picture there are chocolate covered nuts, truffles...so many things!
But I did try the small white sack with the green ribbon.
GUIMAVES! AKA mar(e)shmallows!
But these were extra special, and flavored with bergamot, a type of citrus.
They were light, and not too sweet, and perfectly fluffy and light.
A friend said that they tasted a bit like soap, and I had to agree.
Not in a bad way, pas de tout, but in a way that one may expect soap to taste
if it was candy. Okay, now you probably think that I hated them.
I really liked them and will buy them again, but it was just an interesting
flavor, one that I don't think Americans are quite used to.

Isn't she just a cutie? So knowledgeable too.
She always wears the same outfit: schoolgirl skirt, sweater and tie, and hair in braids.
The little orange treats that she has in her left hand are To. Die. For.
Also, she uses the "tu" form, as opposed to the more
formal, and common "vous".
just made me like her even more!

afterwards, my friend and I sampled our goodies
in the parc monceau, which is nearby

some modern art sculptures, I think by a japanese sculptor?
I could be completely wrong, and probably am.

a close up of the calisson box that I decided upon.

some truffles, something wrapped with her signature
french medieval comic puns,
and a delicious Franck Kestener bar:
dark chocolate, salted butter caramel, sable cookie.
I had had one before and knew how good/evil they could be.
I specifically bought one that was wrapped so that I could hold off on my
sweet treat. Yeah, do you think that it worked?
Oh, best intentions...

the most sublime pistachio paste on the right, and I forget the one on the left...
Oh! It was mirabelle...yum. One of my favorites (a type of yellow plum)

made by bernachon from lyon, who many consider to be the absolute best
chocolate makers in the world.
they go from bean to bar, so to speak

took a chance on this one, so glad that I did!

chocolate outside (duh), but with a crunchy interior
with another chocolate delight!!

I saw an advent calendar at maison du chocolate, but it looked hideously expensive (49 euros!) and contained soy lecithin.
 Denise doesn't carry any products with SL so I think that I might just have to go back and pick out some treats and make my own advent calendar. Oh, poor me, having to do all of the hard work of finding a container and buying the best chocolates in france and having to eat them...oh, I wish that you were here with me to share this onerous burden with!!



missing you all,
love, 
alex

No comments:

Post a Comment