Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tour of: Arab Cultural Institute

talk about technology:
it is possible to sit in the middle of a roman amphitheater,
a place where gladiators battled,
the oldest monument in Paris,
and get WiFi.
fo' free

the cages for "exotic" animals

Arab Cultural Institute:
The guide (who is also SUPER cool) also teaches my methodology course and will teach a course on "french cinema today" that I plan to take. He made a great remark about the building:
In response to the petroleum crisis, each country responded in their own way:
England increased trade with the Middle East, and the US supplied them with arms.
And what did France do?
Build a cultural center.


again, I was drawn to the angles and the light.
I love searching for all of the mini triangles in this pic.
It's kind of like that game in highlights magazine
(did you get that as a kid?)
that had a picture with tons of little pictures in it
(a carrot, a paintbrush, scissors, switchblade, weapons of mass destruction...)

the windows were modeled after cameras, I believe. but someone in my group
pointed out that the hexagonal shapes could be a reference to France
(because it is in the shape of a hexagon. sort of.)

the inside.
they close automatically with sun



looking down

the view from the tippy-top.
you can go out onto the deck

the view from the bitty (?)- bottom.
apparently architects don't tend to care too much about the basement,
but this one was special because he did.


I know that these are quite brief, but I have so much to share and so little time!

Love,
alexandra

ps I am trying to get used to alexandra, because that is the name I am going by here. A little weird/sophisticated huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment